In many mainline churches... a lot (not all) of the next generation has deserted the church...
Now this is causing significant issues.....
It causes issues for the congregation who:
- often have structures that suit a time when there were many possible future leaders to fill positions.
- no longer have attenders who are able to give financially like they used to and do not have the skills or fitness to give physically like they used to.
- are often ministering and doing mission in a way that is suitable to the past....helping children grow in the faith who have always been part of the church but not connecting to those who have resentment or have never connected really to the Christian community.
And the real people it causes issue for are the Grandparents and parents:
- Some of them blame the church, pastors, leaders and others in the church community for their children and grandchildren not being part of the community.
- Some of them blame the evils of the world...like Sunday Sport, busyness, work, etc.
- Some of them blame themselves.
- Some of them worry about their child and grandchilds eternal future...but don't know what to do because they want to have a positive earthly life with them now.
- Some will think getting a child baptised is enough...
- Some of them seem to continue living only for themselves and not the next generation...
Take some time to reflect on Psalm 71:18
Even when I am old and gray,
do not forsake me, O God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
your might to all who are to come.
How can we help those in your congregation help those whose children and grand children are not in a living relationship with God....so they know of God's real power???