Fortunately there's an effective way to bring them closer to him. Jesus modelled it through a process that's so familiar it's often dismissed.
That model is friendship.
The Friends of God discipleship experience is a 12 Session experience that explores:
SESSION 1: Discover friendship with God by exploring the qualities of friendship.
SESSION 2: Explore what nature teaches about God's character.
SESSION 3: Experience the heart of God by paying closer attention to his Son, Jesus.
SESSION 4: Practice communicating with God and others through two-way conversations and prayer stations.
SESSION 5: Explore how the Bible reveals God's heart through the power of questions.
SESSION 6: Watch a full-length film that explores how discipleship is about relationship, not perfection and performance.
SESSION 7: Fun experiences that playfully deepen your connection to Jesus.
SESSION 8: Identify fruit in your life, and discover new ways to abide in Jesus.
SESSION 9: Share stories of tough AND tender love from God and others, and experience Jesus' love personally.
SESSION 10: Explore what makes a friend trustworthy and experience a trust-building experiment.
SESSION 11: Ask for and receive the power of forgiveness.
SESSION 12: Discover how friendship with Jesus has grown and explore next steps.
The approach in friends of God is:
- Bible study that deepens understanding when paired with reflection and story-telling
- Spiritual discovery that grows through interactive conversation among pairs, trios, and small groups
- Creative, fun discipleship adventures that launch participants into the community
The resource kit includes:
- The Discipleship Experience Leader Guide
- The Discipleship Diary Participant Guide
- Friends of God Session DVDs
- Promo and Session Graphics CD
- Unheard Of - a feature length film
- Heart of Jesus Sticky Note Pad
- One Friends of God Glow Pen
- One Friends of God Go-and-Glow Light
- Three Jesus-centred practical guidebooks: Help! How Do I Read the Bible?, Help! How Do I Pray?, and Help! How Do I Know God’s Will?
Friends of God is available here